Re: "core's rules" (was Re: heads up again: quotas)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:18:13AM -0600, David Young wrote:
On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 06:10:24AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
I've also left quotactl(8) still capable of handling the proplib XML
RPC bundles. It does so with its own copy of the proplib interpreter,
so it should continue to work indefinitely. It will be removed in a
few days because it violates core's rules about XML as a user
interface; however, if anyone wants it after that it can be retrieved
from the Attic or even packaged in pkgsrc.

What are "core's rules about XML as a user interface"?  Please cite an
authorized message from core or core minutes.

My understanding was that, after a very painful discussion, core stated
to the developers that XML was not to be used in configuration files
that users or system administrators might be reasonably expected to
hand-edit.  As you know, since you inquired I have checked this with
several other developers whose recollection seems to match mine.

That said, I do not think it is proper to quote private developer
communications here, so I won't.

I wish core was more transparent but according to core, I don't exist.
(By that I mean the quote that NO USER has ever asked for core to be
more transparent.)

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost