Re: Use of "make" broken in src?

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:25:55PM +0100, Darren Reed wrote:
In a recent change, my ability to do "make" in a single directory
has been replaced
with the errors below and I've been forced to use "build.sh" to test
any changes.

Does anyone have any insights into this?

You are trying to build against out of date header files from the
host system, instead of header files from the source tree that
match the rest of your sources.  This should not be expected to work;
when it does (or ever has) it's a happy accident.

build.sh magically fixes this for you by causing the toolchain to refer
to the new header files (in the destination tree).

If you don't want to rerun build.sh every time you make a change, which
is eminently reasonable, use its toolchain instead -- using
nbmake-<target name> from the $TOOLDIR where you would formerly have
used make.  For example, on my laptop, if I am doing test builds for
amd64, I do:

        export PATH=($PATH:/csfs/amd64-build/tooldir/bin)
        nbmake-amd64

You'll still need to do "nbmake-amd64 includes" in the source directories
where header files change so they're installed into the appropriate
destination directories, but this will not overwrite your host system like
the old way.

Ah, yup, that explains everything (including why using the toolchain
make in other instances had worked.)

Thanks,
Darren