Re: non-automated test failure report! :)

Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 09:07:45AM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> > Original report indicated failure on i386:
> >
> > lib/libtre/t_exhaust (388/485): 1 test cases
> >     regcomp_too_big: UVM: pid 20107 (t_exhaust), uid 0 killed: out of swap
> > Failed: Test program received signal 9
> >
> > Looks like a test-bed failure?
>
> Can you take a look, Andreas?

It seems pretty clear to me what is happening: the test program is
using a lot of memory and is being killed because the machine is
running out of swap.

What's not clear to me is why it's failing in this particular way
instead of e.g. malloc() returning NULL, and what to do about it.

I'm reluctant to work around this issue by increasing the memory size
of the test VM from the current 32 MB, because having a limited amount
of memory has helped find real regressions such as a huge memory leak
in the /bin/sh yacc parser a while back.  If the test really needs
that much memory, maybe it should be skipped on low-memory machines.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson%gson.org@localhost