Thinkpad volume control buttons

Running a few-months-old amd64/current on a Lenovo X201, I recently set
about hooking up the volume control hot keys (XF86AudioRaiseVolume,
XF86AudioLowerVolume, XF86AudioMute) to mixerctl with some shell
scripts, and along the way noticed that the mute button (but not the
volume up/down buttons) works by default, even at the console.  Is that
being handled by the thinkpad* driver?  Or some other driver?  If
someone tells me where to look I might at some point try to add volume
control support to the existing mute/unmute support, unless there's a
good reason not to.

Curiously yours,

--IDL