Re: Recent i386-GENERIC panic

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, John D. Baker wrote:

if (mod->mod_required[i])
   printf("module %s requires module %s!\n",
       mod->mod_info->mi_name, mod->mod_required[i]->mod_info->mi_name);

(It's just finished compiling.  Will try shortly.)

First I noticed that the kernel size with the above added lines was
EXACTLY the same as without it.

Next, no message from the above printf was ever printed.  I thought I
might have stale objects around, so I deleted the compile/GENERIC directory and $RELEASEDIR/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz file and
compiled again.

As before, resulting kernel size is the same as without the printf,
no messages at all from it.

When the panic occurs, the KASSERT() line number is 695, three lines
down from stock, so the source was compiled.

I take that to mean "mod->mod_required[i]" is NULL in the "if()", but is
non-NULL in the KASSERT()!  Whisky Tango Foxtrot /IMI/ K

I'm out of time for working on these machines this week.  I have three
more at another location I'll poke at for confirmation over the weekend.
Last weekend, they had no problems with up-to-the minute -current.