Re: x86 GENERIC kernels unlobotomized

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:42:50PM -0400, Martin S. Weber wrote:
 > You mean -current's build.sh still doesn't put the modules in
 > kern.tgz? Oh my...
 >
 > That was the simple "no need for people to be trained much"
 > suggestion that had been brought up ~ 1 day after the move to the
 > modular kernel and the first dozen or so had chopped their feet off
 > with it :(

That's been one of the most contentious points all along, the claim
that modules are and must be independent of choice of kernel and must
not / cannot be built or installed or treated in any way as part of
the kernel.

There is, as far as I can tell, no sound technical basis for those
claims and various reasons why it's folly, but that apparently doesn't
change the situation.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost