Re: x86 GENERIC kernels unlobotomized

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 04:37:25PM +0000, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> I've reverted the modularization of the x86 GENERIC kernels.
> i386 MONOLITHIC is currently unbuildable due to duplicate options and
> will soon be removed.

This change took me by surprise.  I am a user of both GENERIC &
MONOLITHIC kernels and of kernels derived (using include statements)
from those.  I can adapt, but I'm not sure if this change will last a
day.

Is this change in keeping with any Core decision?  An authorized Core
statement would clear up my uncertainty, maybe it would clear things up
for others, too?

Obviously a lot of people feel that decisions about modular kernels have
been made too hastily, or too slowly, or without due consideration for
affected users.  Let's hash this out once and for all but not in the
source tree, please!

Just speaking for myself, BTW.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24