Re: How to build netbsd with pcc?

On Sun, 22 May 2011, Rhialto wrote:

> On Sun 22 May 2011 at 14:57:32 +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > Hm, ok.. I see it also on i386-current with a clean tools dir. It seems
> > to be that the following happens when using -j1
>
> Interesting bug. A few weeks ago I just switched from -j3 (on my
> dual-cpu laptop) to no -j option, because of another bug that only
> manifested with -j (mail with subject "X source build problem with -j
> 3") and which apparently affected nobody else.
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2011/05/03/msg016570.html

> > that should get you a useable /usr/bin/pcc which make will use if you
> > supply CC=pcc, and/or if you remove the /var/obj/tools/pcc directory and
> > rebuild tools with -V HAVE_PCC= then you get a tool version.
>
> Would mixing and matching work, say if I haven't built pcc yet, that it
> will use gcc as a host tool compiler and build pcc as a cross compiler?
> (Well, I'll find that out automatically - I'll just try it before
> updating pcc sources itself)

you can use HOST_CC to specify the host compiler when building tools;
currently you can use HOST_CC=pcc to build tools with HAVE_PCC= but it
cannot build gcc :)

I built most of a distribution (using gcc) with pcc-built tools (except
for gcc, built separately) but the nbsort coredumps on large files (eg
sorting the setlists) which is the code generation bug I have identified
but not pinned down any further..

..as there is another issue blocking me, we have recently switched to
using --sysroot which pcc does not properly support and I've been busy
this week with other things

iain