Re: RAID - raidframe vs hardware/controller

Well, I was talking about relatively modern southbridge chips, as found on many motherboards. BIOS settings exist for three operating modes:

        IDE (compatability?)
        AHCI
        RAID

I just sort of assumed that setting them to RAID would do all the work and wouldn't require any additional driver support in NetBSD. Maybe I'm being naive?

My biggest fear with raidframe(4) is that it has taken me about 10 years to get almost comfortable with simple fdisk/disklabel stuff. I've seen many threads over the years about having additional considerations for the raidframe component label. But I don't think I've ever seen a single how-to cookbook.

It would be great if there was a simple step-by-step procedure written down somewhere. (If there is one, I haven't found it.)

Oh, to answer an earlier question, I'm looking only at RAID-1 (mirror) for now. I don't think I have any plans to move on to RAID-5 or -10.