Re: Build break - commaizenumber

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 04:47:27PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:44:42AM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> > > Especially so since the thousands separator isn't consistently set.

> > > e.g. the es locale sets it, but es_ES.UTF-8 doesn't. ja_JP.UTF-8 sets

> > > it but ja doesn't. etc...

> > Yes, that is the part we need to fix. But using something like a hard

> > coded comma in a locale that does not use "," as a thousands separator

> > does not help.

> Using whatever is set even if it's not a "," is the whole point of looking

> it up based on the locale, but if a locale doesn't configure anything for

> a thousands separator, why wouldn't we want to use a default?

Let me expand the perspective a little bit. Unix command output is not just meant for human consumption but is just as often used as input by other commands. I need to use utf-8 as my default character encoding so I set

LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

I have seen examples of pkgsrc packages failing to build until I unset LC_CTYPE -- presumably because of unexpected commas in numbers. Forcing this behavior would obviously exacerbate the problem.

Regards,

Sverre