Re: Installation of NetBSD 5.99.44 and resulting problems

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 06:11:31 +0000
"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost> wrote:

> > I wonder if vbetool could fix your blank screen after exiting X.  Also
> > did you try changing the screen brightness and switching to different
> > tty's?

> This issue might be related to the following PR:
> xsrc/40322
> (http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=40322)

> Matt

Maybe on the right track, but not a perfect match, but close enough to be
useful.

I can go to X and see the screen, but then when I return or switch to text
console, all is dark.

It seems this bug has been around for some time, affects 5.1 and 5.1_STABLE too.

As for being an xorg bug, I don't get this problem in Linux or FreeBSD, no
problem going to X and back.

It takes an awful lot of time to keep updating NetBSD-current, and I don't wish
to take this time until I get some indication that the bug is fixed.

Now I can read my NetBSD 5.1_STABLE installation (ffsv1) and NetBSD 4.0.1 on
USB stick (also ffsv1) from Linux but not NetBSD 5.99.44 on USB stick (ffsv2).

Tom