Re: atf for libcurses

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Brett Lymn wrote:

To verify curses at this sort of abstraction
level, one needs a terminal emulator of sorts, and check the resulting
"appearance".

Why?  All the terminal emulator will be doing is taking the command
sequences and rendering those as cursor motions and characters.  They
will always be the same sequences.  We are not talking about human
input here where a human can mix up the key presses to arrive at the
same goal.

Your reasoning seems to imply that, if we were to change libcurses to use a different, more optimum character sequence to generate a specific screen appearance, that would be considered a regression. I disagree with that reasoning.

It is not libcurse's job to generate a specific character sequence, but to produce a specific appearance. The fact that it uses a character sequence to produce that appearance is an implementation detail, and should not be the target of a regression test.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |