Re: How is savecore meant to work? Is it possible ?

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 10:56:49AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

> While all that was going on, I found an old .doc ("word") file I thought
> I'd like to read, so I started openoffice.   That got as far as putting up
> its silly advertising window (or the one to keep the audience occupied while
> it does everything it needs to get started, or whatever you want to call it)
> when X froze completely - no window updates of any kind, I don't recall if
> the mouse cursor moved, but I think not.    At first, I thought that the
> system had crashed then, but it was still fine (I think) - I had no
> problem connecting via ssh from my laptop, and looking around.

This may have been unrelated to the other problems your machine may
have,  I have found that both OpenOffice and qemu can freeze up my X
session on a recent-ish -current.  Someone suggested to me that it may
be xkbcomp.  Indeed, I have found that simply killing off the xkbcomp
that is hanging around resurrects my X session.  I now have a horrible
hackish script that just loops looking for a xkbcomp process that is
around longer than 5 seconds and just kills it, it is not pretty but
it does the job for the moment.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: