Re: NetBSD 5.1 RC3 in production

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Robert Elz <kre%munnari.oz.au@localhost>
wrote:
>    Date:        Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:49:31 -0500
>    From:        Francisco Valladolid <ficovh%gmail.com@localhost>
>
>  | Anyone using 5.1 RC3 in production environment ?
>
> munnari.oz.au is 5.1 RC3 at the minute (it will get an RC4 kernel as
> soon as I get around to installing it).

Now, 11:45 pm (GMT -6 time) it's down.

> I'm not all that happy with it, and might go back to its old NetBSD 4
> based system which was as stable as I could imagine (it only went down
> for power failures longer than the UPS can handle, and broken disks...)

I have 5.1 RC3 in my home server running it has 15 days without problems

ficovh@home ~ % uptime
 6:54PM  up 15 days, 10:40, 1 user, load averages: 0.23, 0.05, 0.02

I'm running postgresql, nginx, php5; it's a old PIII 500 with 512MB RAM

> The 5 system has been crashing from time to time (leaving no hint in the
> messages file about what happened - and it is never when I am there to
> see it ..., it just reboots) and I have had to reboot it once to clean
> out processes hung with whatever it is causes the tstile hangs.

Umm, I believe a Hardware related error.

> kre

Thanks and Best Regards.

--
Francisco Valladolid H.