Re: estd and P-States

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen%iki.fi@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 04:45:03PM +0200, Jes wrote:
>       sysctl -w machdep.idle-mechanism=mwait
>       sysctl: mwait: string too long
>
> I've tried it with 'halt' and 'hlt' values, but no luck.

As I wrote, C-states are not currently supported. (Well, C0 and C1 are, but
that this is semantics.) Even when these will be supported, you will not
need to do anything to use these. That sysctl(8) is only for informative
purposes.

- Jukka.

Ok, understood. My intention was activate C2 or even C3 when the laptop is on battery. I did it in FreeBSD, C1 when performance, C2 when economy applies, to save battery.

So, the use of acpicpu in the kernel, has any advantage ? powerd or 'estd' will be more efficient in terms of power saving?

If not, then the only thing I can do is fix the cpu frequency to the lowest value when on battery.

Thanks,

Jes