i386 kernel w/options PAE fails

I have a machine with 4GB RAM and PAE support.  I tried building a
kernel with "options PAE", but it spontaneously reboots when attaching
the second CPU.  I switched to a serial console so I could capture it:

  http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/dmesg-shadow_pae-nbsd5_99_37.txt

Without "options PAE", all is well, just RAM is clipped to 3GB:

  http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/dmesg-shadow-nbsd5_99_37.txt

CPU information:

  http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/shadow-cpu.txt

Does this machine have all the right alphabet soup to use a PAE-enabled
i386 kernel?

(BTW, is there any good documentation that expands and explains all the
TLAs and ETLAs in the CPU feature list--short of the processor user's
manual?)

I'll try disabling SMP and see how it goes...