Re: pathconf(2) _PC_NO_TRUNC wrong description ?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:23:19 +0200
Nicolas Joly <njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:47:42PM +0200, Klaus Klein wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:44:51PM +0200, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that _PC_NO_TRUNC description from pathconf(2) man page is
> > > wrong/inverted:
> > >
> > >      _PC_NO_TRUNC
> > >              Return 1 if filenames longer than {NAME_MAX} are truncated.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Could someone confirm that the man page is wrong ?
> >
> > It is.
>
> Thanks. Adjusted to :
>
>       Return 0 if filenames longer than {NAME_MAX} are truncated.

If I understand, it should return 0 if filenames will silently be
truncated, and 1 if it'll error instead?  Perhaps that also should be
mentioned if so (I've seen in a Linux man page the following
description instead: returns non-zero if accessing filenames longer
than _POSIX_NAME_MAX generates an error).

If that's true, perhaps we could have "Return 0 if filenames longer
than {NAME_MAX} are silently truncated, or non-zero if an error is
generated when {NAME_MAX} is exceeded."

Thanks,
--
Matt