Re: IDN hostname resolution in NetBSD

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:36:34PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

> On May 26, 2010, at 22:58, Chris Ross wrote:
> >  And, while I'm asking the question, is there any known issues/
> >resolutions with setting a NetBSD machines local hostname to an
> >UTF-8, or Latin-1 even, name?
>
>   Following up on this late part of the question, it looks like
> UTF-8 is bad for local hostnames.  Many things get confused, not the
> least of which is wsconsole.  But sshd seems to generate keys
> without understanding it as UTF-8, and postfix harfs, etc etc.
>
>   Setting it to a latin1 hostname, including an Ã, seems to almost
> work, or at least show the right thing on boot, but postfix still
> harfs.  Looks like postfix can't handle anything other than 7-bit
> ascii in it's retrieved hostname.
>
>   And, when using latin1, zsh (4.3.10, with a UTF-8 $LANG) screws up
> pretty badly too, as one might expect.

DNS strictly only allows (a subset of) 7-bit ASCII for hostnames.  It's up
to useragents (browsers, mail clients, ...) to interpret the punnycode and
present it as internationalized strings to users, and vice versa.  In BIND
zones, Postfix config files etc, you'll have to use the ASCII
representation.

        Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen%telenet.be@localhost  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F