vge0 on new Via Mobo - was Re: Call for testing of ehci(4), ohci(4), slhci(4), uhci(4) data toggle patch

Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 05:35:52PM -0500, Dave Burgess wrote:
Is there a chance that this is going to fix the VIA VGE0 problem I'm
seeing on the new MServ S2100 motherboard?

No.  I'd guess interrupt issues.

        Jonathan Kollasch
Just for giggles, instead of booting with the default, I booted with ACPI and SMP turned off - the network card is working. If I boot with just ACPI turned off (SMP on), the kernel drops into the debugger. The error message is "... mode transition failed.\nCould not exit ACPI mode to legacy mode."

If I boot with just SMP turned off (ACPI on), the kernel boots but the vge0 port is dead.

There is only the one CPU, so booting with SMP turned off would make sense for me, but isn't there a bug here? As always, I'll be glad to help, I just need to know what you need me to do next (if anything). The classic advice "If it hurts, don't do that" is fine in the short term. I'm booting with both turned off and I don't expect that to be a problem, but I thought you guys would like to know.