Re: dump(8) lacks a last-stage incremental dump feature

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Greywolf wrote:
>> I fail to see how.  It simply dumps at level 9 but refers to the
>> previous level 9 for the requisite files, then updates /etc/dumpdates
>> with this level 9.
>
> The man page does not explain this adequately.  I'd like to see a
> description of how dump(8) decides what date should be used as the basis
> for the incremental dump (is it the date of the previous level 8 or
> lower level dump as would be implied by "treated as level 9", or is it
> the date of the previous level 9 or lower dump, as might or might not
> be implied by "takes into account a previous level 9"?),  and how it
> updates /etc/dumpdates (does it apend a new level 9 record, or does it
> replace the previous level 9 record?).
>
> --apb (Alan Barrett)

Very good point made, and one that lets me know I should think of
how to word the manpage at this point; essentially, I have sent in the
patch to make the 'i' level dump effectively a level 10 on tape and a
level 'i' in /etc/dumpdates.

With regard to what happens:  I have not extensively modified the
code, so ALL dump levels behave identically in terms of overwriting
the previous dump record in /etc/dumpdates.

David Holland pointed out to me that a "true incremental" should
probably not overwrite a level 9's dumpdate record.  I addressed
that concern.

--
<center>--*greywolf;<br>
/* relayer @t gmail d0t com */