Re: unzip and password protected archive

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 08:33:09PM -0500, Steven Bellovin wrote:
> > In fact I don't think they are, but 15 years ago they were and I was a
> > stupid teenager full of arrogance and paranoia who locked all his code
> > with the fear that the whole world will steal it...
> >
> Password-protected zip files were heavily used by some worms a few
> years ago, as a way of evading anti-virus scanners.  "Here's the
> document; enter this password to read it"....

Right, obfuscation. That's about the only use case I could come up with.
Well, if someone is bothered by the lack of support, libarchive has a
bug tracker on code.google.com :) I wouldn't find out in 10min whether
zip sets the bits in the pre-file header or only in the central
directory. The former would be a requirement of being able to implement
this in any sane way though.

Joerg