Re: netbsd-5 system hangs while booting since recent kernel update

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Matthias Drochner wrote:
Huh. Why aren't these FIXUPs on by default already?

I've seen cases where the fixup did more harm than good. I believe
one was on a desktop with onboard graphics which was disabled if a VGA
card was plugged in but FIXUP enabled it again. Multiple PCI-ISA
bridges also likely trigger problems. What makes it harder is
that the code is almost incomprehensible.
So I'd say the FIXUP should only be done if necessary.

ISTR that as part of jmcneill's bootprops he made these boot time options rather than build time. bootprops didn't ever get committed (boot.cfg is a logical successor for much of it), but it would be good to make FIXUP options a boot option (-3 to disable, anyone?).

--
Stephen