Re: Automounting removable devices within kde4

Hi All,

this feature is needed- i.e. for Desktop Gnome. I could mount/umount usb disks earlier as well. What about the optical devices? Why we cannot mount them? In such case using i.e. brasero is useless- brasero cannot find any recorder etc.

This is my config allowing also ejecting devices (if supported at all):

<config version="0.1">
  <define_admin_auth group="operator"/>
    <match action=""> <match user="piotrek">
      <return result="yes"/>
  </match>
    </match>
     <match action="">  <match user="piotrek">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
      </match>
        <match action="">    <match user="piotrek">
  <return result="yes"/>
      </match>
        </match>
        </config>

Pjoter

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Bernd Ernesti <netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 04:43:02PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> With the following revisions of hal and PolicyKit automounting removable
> devices should work fine within kde4 (and probably gnome and suchlike):
> hal-0.5.11nb26 policykit-0.9nb6
>
> The only additional change needed is to add the following to
> /usr/pkg/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf inside the <config> block:
>         <match action=""> >                 <return result="yes" />
>         </match>
>
> With the above plugging in a USB flash drive into my amd64 laptop pops up a
> notification window, clicking on it opens dolphin, and clicking on the
> device in dolphin correctly mounted it.
>
> If you want to be able to mount filesystems on fixed disks you also need to
> add:
>         <match action=""> >                 <return result="yes" />
>         </match>
>
> Should something like that be enabled by default?

No, at least not for the fixed disks.

It is a nice feature, but how do you stop users from mounting devices
which they are not supposed to mount?

Especially now that the mount point is automatically changed to that user.
Why is that needed at all?

Bernd