Re: GENERIC kernel "modules" implementation info?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:38:11AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > See above. You can also use the "MONOLITHIC" kernel (configuration).
>
> I'd propose to rename MONOLITHIC to RESCUE.  This should sound like Windows'
> "safe mode" to users.

I don't think that is a good idea. "RESCUE" implies it isn't suitable for
production use which it is.

I would actually prefer to re-add all the file-system and other
modular components to "GENERIC", resurrect the "MODULAR" kernel
configuration and keep it that way until 6.0 has been released.
After the 6.0 release most users should have a module aware
boot loader and somebody will hopefully have address the
short-comings of our module support.(*)

        Kind regards

(*) http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2009/05/10/msg009372.html