Re: Stack Smash Protection disabled (was HEADS-UP: Stack Smash Protection enabled by default for amd64 and i386)

On Sun 15 Nov 2009 at 16:44:23 +0100, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> It's not a feature that can just be compiled in/out at a whim, it
> affects all the code and is incompatible with some constructs that
> would compile and run otherwise.

I don't quite agree. If SSP is not compatible with any conforming C
program, it makes for an nonconforming compiler. That is no good. For
instance, variable-size arrays on the stack are a C99 standard feature.
I expect to encounter it more and more. If the SSP implementation can't
handle it, it is useless.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.