Re: mDNSResponder build failure on 64-bit platform (amd64)

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Eric Haszlakiewicz
<erh%nimenees.com@localhost> wrote:
> That doesn't seem to make much sense.  If there really is supposed to
> be a fixed size on-the-wire format as the comment implies, commenting
> out those checks probably isn't the right thing to do.
>
> eric

You're right, it was only supposed to make the code compile again.
The author made assumptions about the size of the structure and that should
be dealt with more appropriately. I had to hack it in the mean time.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Ty Sarna <ty%sarna.org@localhost> wrote:
> The dns_sd.h doesn't fail, (and seems extremely unlikely to anyway), so it's
> just commented out to avoid getting a warning in everything using the
> header.

That one is unlikely to fail true, but it still hides the flaw with
the union where the second
member (a pointer) has variable size, thus the on-wire format is
actually wrong there
with non 32-bit machines.

I'm not sure what kind of warning you're referring to if that code was
not ifdef'd out.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Ty Sarna <ty%sarna.org@localhost> wrote:
> Can you provide the whole error message? I started an amd64 cross build and
> I believe I'm already well past the part where this should happen. It was
> also reported to me that it builds on sparc64.

Unfortunately I don't have the error message anymore, but it failed
due to trying to
allocate a -1 sized array. I performed a cross build as well, on i386 Linux