Re: Moving expat and a few other libraries to the base system

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > this discussion was started because pkgsrc handles the case of a
> > system without X11 installed but needing these libraries was poor.
>
> Strictly speaking, the problem is only with binary packages.
> If you build from source, you can use X11_TYPE=modular and it will build
> them as needed.

If you install binary packages that were built with the correct
value of X11_TYPE, then that also works.

The problem, as I see it, is that the "official" binary packages
are built with a value of X11_TYPE that is wrong for some people.
If official binary packages were built twice, with both plausible
values of X11_TYPE, and if users had an easy way to choose which
set to install, then the problem would go away.

--apb (Alan Barrett)