Re: documentation on how to dual boot windows and netbsd

On 18/08/2009, at 1:32 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:39:22 -0700
Michael Litchard <michael%schmong.org@localhost> wrote:

I can't find any documentation on how to dual boot windows and netbsd
(specifically windows 2000 pro).
I'd rather not use grub if I don't have to. Could someone point to a
good url?

The regular NetBSD boot loader should do it -- at least, it has for me
with several different versions of Windows.

I think the Windows boot blocks are very order dependant. If you install NetBSD 'over' a Windows 2000 server install (at back of disk or whatever), its likely some subsidiary information in the magic 8k front-of-disk isn't right.

I found in the past I had to do some sequence of DOS-command low-level hackery to re-convince the Windows server that the bootblocks were not compromised, and that it should 'bless' the dual-boot install.

I can't remember where this is documented, its part of the install/ repair cycle to find, and bless bootblock data in Windows. a Windows install CD should be able to get you there.

But having done that, I too have found NetBSD MBR is just fine, booting both.

Rumour has it there is a way to use the Windows chain/boot loader to boot NetBSD, in which case you can live with whatever that magic is.

-G