X won't start: radeon

Using today's -current, I can't start X on a Dell Dimension 8400. If I run

        X -configure

it prints a list of drivers and then says "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices". Another machine of the same model, using -current from June 24, works properly, with the radeon driver. I saw another thread that described the need for

        PCI_ALLOW_MMAP

in the kernel, albeit to fix different symptoms. Is that what I should try?