Re: heads up: namei_simple

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 04:39:18PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
 > > I've committed namei_simple_{kernel,user} and converted 67 of the
 > > namei call sites in the kernel to call it. This has been scrutinized
 > > and to some degree tested, but many of the call sites are in things I
 > > really can't effectively test, like compat_ibcs2.
 >
 > But what does it do? Why the change? Or have i missed an discussion here?

More likely you just forgot about it :-) since it was more than a year
ago now.

The purpose of this particular change is to simplify the common case
(> 1/2 of namei calls) and also isolate these call sites from more
invasive upcoming changes to namei.

The overall purpose is to make namei less of a tar pit.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost