Re: savecore can't dump

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

There is no need for any of these tools to know anything about the currently
running kernel.  They will behave no worse in its absence -- though, as yamt
has pointed out, in the long run it would be best to enhance what's written
to the dump area so that the dumped kernel text or at least the symbol table
is included in it.

How does savecore know where to find the dump? The last time I was looking at dumps, I seem to remember that savecore used the currently running kernel to locate where the dump file had been written, and thus you had to be sure to boot off the same kernel as you were running when the kernel memory was written to the dump device.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant