Re: Welcome 5.0

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:39:00AM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:41:21PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > I find it surprising. The scan phase itself takes several hours on
> > my systems. Maybe there is some optimisation I could do on my system ?
>
> Around 2h on that system, but that part is hitting MP contention pretty
> hard.
>
> > there is also the issue of package build hanging, and needing manual
> > intervention. This stalls the whole build ...
>
> I have only seen that with some Mono packages, at least on amd64. For
> that, ulimit -c should be good enough. Other cases you have seen?

I've seen these on i386, amd64 and sparc.
mozilla and derivative (firefox, seamonkey, etc ...) in the post-build
(or maybe post-install) stage. killing the hung binary allows a binary
package to be produced so this doesn't seem critical.
I've seen the same with openoffice3, I wonder if it's using the same
post-install tool.

there are also builds where the compiler or other build tool (possibly
in a bootstrap phase, to the build tool is part of the package itself)
enter a CPU loop. For such case ulimit -t allows to abort it, but of
course it delays the whole build.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost