Re: exec: /sbin/init: error 8

On Sat, 9 May 2009 11:52:26 +0900
Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
> > boot device: wd0
> > root on wd0 dumps on wd0b
> > no file system for wd0 (dev 0x0)
> > cannot mount root, error = 79
> > root device (default wd0a):
> >
> > If the error refers to errno then it mean "Inappropriate file type or
> > format" which seems not useful.
>
> No /stand/${MACHINE}/${VERSION}/modules/exec_elf32/exec_elf32.kmod?

/stand/i386/5.99.11/modules/exec_elf32/exec_elf32.kmod exists with the
same build time as the rest.

> >  # rm -rf /usr/obj/*
> >  # cd ...cvs/src
> >  # ./build.sh tools
> >  # ./build.sh KERNEL=GENERIC
>
> cd sys/module
> ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${MACHINE} obj
> ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${MACHINE} dependall
> ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${MACHINE} install

Ah.  I was wondering how to install modules separately.  It would be
nice if there was a build.sh command to do that.  In fact I would
suggest the following instead:

# ./build.sh tools
# ./build.sh KERNEL=GENERIC
# ./build.sh distribution
# ./build.sh install_kernel=/
[test new kernel]
# ./build.sh install=/

The install_kernel target is meant to install the kernel and modules
only.  The idea here is to build everything at the same time so that
userland matches the kernel even if it isn't installed right away.

> >  # [copy kernel to root]
>
> It's better to check if a new kernel works here.

Which is what I used to do before.  See start of this thread.  Now that
I know how to install modules separately I can do that again.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/