Re: ffs:valloc: dup alloc (in 5.0RC3)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 07:52:19AM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> just updating to 5.0RC3 from a slightly older version and I'm getting a
>
>   panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
>
> when trying to build a release. The backtrace is
>
>   ffs_valloc(
>   ufs_mkdir(
>   VOP_MKDIR(
>   sys_mkdir(
>   syscall(
> /usr/src              /home/plunky/src        union
> rw,nodev,nosuid,noauto,-b

I have seen unionfs chew up ffs file systems first hand. It gets the vnode
locking badly wrong. It could be the culprit.

(I am hoping to rewrite it and nullfs at some point in the future to not care
about locking but that is part of a larger project and I have no ETA.)

> reverting ufs/ffs/ffs_alloc.c to version 1.113 does seem to have cleared
> the problem (one build complete, started another just now),

That is interesting. Is it reproducable?