Re: nested file system types

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:36:21AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > As I mentioned the other day, I'm working on mount_vnd(8).  It's pretty
> > straight-forward; the catch is that I need to be able to specify the
> > file system type that's layered on top of vnd.  That in turn raises the
> > question of whether two levels is enough -- it's not; ffs on cgd on vnd
> > is a perfectly legal (and very useful) construct.
>
> I think that supporting one level would be sufficiently useful to be
> worthwhile: anything on vnd, using the entire vnd device (not just a
> sub-partition), and with the vnd compressed or not.

That's kinda what I was getting at :)

No point in getting too complicated, the owner of the disk should be aware
of it's structure, so it makes sense to only support a basic set of features.

At least initially for people wanting something similar to the linux facility.
I imagine there are plenty of ways to enhance it down the track.

Sarton