Re: can't run as root with netbsd-5

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:31:39PM +1100, bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost wrote:
[...]

And not syncing your userland and kernel while you have physical
root access, life on the edge! hehe

No, it should be safe to run a new kernel with old userland, at last
for basic functionalities like logging in and getting a shell (things
like ipf are known to cause issues). If it doesn't work it's a bug.

Yes, I understand. My point was that he had booted the new kernel and had physical access to install userland but decided to wait and perform it remotely. For the small amount of time it takes to sync up, I would have done it there and then to be safe.

Just my opinion :)

Sarton