Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

At 10:03 Uhr -0500 14.2.2009, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
>Hauke Fath wrote:
>> At 12:24 Uhr +0100 14.2.2009, Adam Hoka wrote:
>>> Gnome with HAL, pulseaudio and friends are already available from pkgsrc,
>>> take it or leave it.
>>
>> My understanding is that pkgsrc HAL lacks a NetBSD backend for hot-plug
>> support - exactly the part that would interfere with existing structures in
>> NetBSD base.
>
>Your understanding is totally incorrect.

"totally", is it, Jared? I stand corrected.

You might have started, though, by telling me to when full-scale NetBSD HAL
support hit pkgsrc (alternatively, a pointer).

So, I can install meta/gnome*, plug in a USB stick, and have it appear on
the desktop? What about KDE? And what interactions with /etc citizens do I
have to expect?

        hauke