Re: Behaviour change in Xorg's xdm between 5.99.5 and 5.99.7

On Jul 4, 12:27pm, "Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:
} On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:17:38 +0100
} "S.P.Zeidler" <spz%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:
}
} > Alas, no; xdm has no use_pam flag, although it might with a little
} > bit of work. It's a pure compile option at present.
} > (See xsrc/external/mit/xdm/dist/greeter/greet.c mostly)
} >
} > The rationale for the behaviour is that with PAM you may get a
} > different password prompt, eg for your SSH passphrase or your
} > Kerberos passwd, and PAM itself might not know what options to offer
} > you until you give it your username.
}
} What else will USE_PAM=no in mk.conf affect?  Is that documented
} anywhere?

     Every application that does any kind of authentication, i.e.
login, su, rlogind, xdm, ssh, third party apps, etc.  In general, it
isn't something that I would recommend.  Although it is supposed to
work, I wouldn't guarantee that the system will work properly.

}-- End of excerpt from "Steven M. Bellovin"