Re: HEADS UP: panic behaviour changed

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:39:15AM +0100, Adam Hoka wrote:
> > If the problem Andrew tries to fix is the cryptic ddb prompt, I would
> > suggest to change the panic message to include something like:
> >     Please report this issue via send-pr(1). Include at least the
> >     output of "backtrace". "reboot" will try to create a coredump,
> >     if the swap partition is large enough.
>
> Or just write a script which extracts this information (at least
> semi-)automatically, so we can just ask the user to use it.

Most of the time I don't get coredumps. So extracting information from a
coredump is not helpful in all those cases.

IMO this is trying to optimise a completely wrong problem. What is the
point of making the experience of a major kernel bug more pleasant?
The priority should be to help the user provide enough information to
allow a developer to FIX it.

Joerg