Re: i386 and the COMPAT_50 option

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 03:12:43PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
 > 4. Give up and don't support native compat as a module. It was only 20kB
 >    last time I looked and is not a security hole (excluding SA), so perhaps
 >    it is just not worth the hassle. The emulations are easy to make into /
 >    sustain as modules so this argument does not apply to them.

This seems like the best approach to me. If it's that small, all the
hooks and wedges needed to make it loadable are likely to end up
nearly as large by themselves.

 > 5. As #4 but don't even bother with release level granularity as the only
 >    rational excuse for this is to make the kernel build with newer
 >    architectures.

Nah, as soon as one's compiling a custom kernel there's still some
benefit to keeping the switches around. Plus, what was mentioned
upthread about needing to disable certain things for testing.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost