alternative executable and linking format? (was Re: HEADS UP: I will be merging christos-time_t by the end of the week)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, David Holland wrote:

> Well, library versioning in ELF is pretty inadequate. If we bumped the
> libc major we'd have to do the same mass revbump in pkgsrc, for
> roughly the same reason.

I often see discussions like this and I also recall reading some emails
about alternatives formats already in progress (sorry I can't find now).

(Without really knowing much about this ...) are there proposals already
written for an alternative to ELF?

Something new but already used elsewhere? Or to be invented/implemented at
NetBSD first?

Or something else already in use (like Mach-O)?

Any PRs or URLs or email threads about this I can look at?