Re: MEMORY_RBFLAGS in options(4)

David Brownlee wrote:
You mean switching the default to, say, RB_AUTOBOOT instead of RB_SINGLE?

    Yes, exactly.

So, here are the diffs that modify the MEMORY_DISK_RBFLAGS behaviour, and set RB_AUTOBOOT as default (was RB_SINGLE previously):

http://www.netbsd.org/~jym/RBFLAGS.diff
http://www.netbsd.org/~jym/options.4.diff

For config(5) files expecting MEMORY_DISK_RBFLAGS to be RB_SINGLE, I set it manually inside it. I did it with following criterias:

- if MEMORY_RBFLAGS was set explicitly: keep it.

(3 files do so: evbarm/conf/ARMADILLO210, evbarm/conf/GUMSTIX and ia64/conf/GENERIC.SKI)

- if MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS and MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT are set: set MEMORY_DISK_RBFLAGS to RB_SINGLE (to match old behaviour)

(71 configs, mostly ramdisks and install kernels)

- if MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS is set alone: do not touch. If I understand the code right, boothowto can only be overriden when MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT is set, or when md_root_setconf() is called when MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC is set (and with root on md0). Since neither are used in this case, I consider that boothowto cannot be altered by RBFLAGS.

(this is the case for atari)

- if MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS and MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC are set: investigate. This happens only for GENERIC i386 and amd64, so I decided _not_ to set RBFLAGS to RB_SINGLE as it could be misleading in the config(5) file (although this does not seem to affect GENERIC behaviour, as root is not on md0).

Thanks for the comments and/or reviews during this snowy and cheerful context :)

Last diffs against -current:

http://www.NetBSD.org/~jym/RBFLAGS.diff
http://www.NetBSD.org/~jym/options.4.diff

I am planning to commit it in about a week, after things calm down with the christos-time_t merge.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost