Re: paxtest on NetBSD 5.0 BETA

Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <20090106181846.38fec44e.adam.hoka%gmail.com@localhost>,
Adam Hoka  <adam.hoka%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
-=-=-=-=-=-

Hi!

I made a few runs with paxtest to test our out-of-the-box security functions.
The test was made on netbsd-5. There are also some references results.

http://www.netbsd.org/~ahoka/benchmarks/paxtest/

I cant really comment on the results, but I hope others will.
Also I didnt look why those odd segfaults occur.

You need MKPIE binaries to make ASLR more effective.

You (=Adam, and others) may find the following mail useful:

        http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-security/2005/12/18/0000.html

If possible, please try running PaXtest with PIE binaries as Christos
suggested, SSP'd binaries (look at their Makefile - it disables it at
least for the OpenBSD target), and on amd64 too. The executable stack
and mprotect tests should present different results...

Thanks,

-e.