Re: HEADS UP: I will be merging christos-time_t by the end of the week

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:01:11PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
 > -major()/minor() return 64-bit numbers now, but calculations
 >  are done with ints and 32 bits elsewhere in the kernel.
 >  Imho it would be better to leave major and minor numbers
 >  alone for now - for now only 12/20 bits are used anyway,
 >  and any change here would require a lot more compatibility
 >  considerations. And use of 64-bit arithmetics where not
 >  necessary is wasteful, at least on 32-bit machines.
 > -Likewise, major numbers should not use NODEV as special
 >  value. This is a different namespace.

What conclusions did we come to regarding PR 39215? I got behind on
the discussion there at the time and haven't caught up on it yet.

(Or were there no conclusions and this is the next round?)

I think your(?) argument that minor numbers are used for array
indexing and whatnot and shouldn't be bigger than machine words was
fairly persuasive.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost