Re: How do I keep testing current-amd64 witout so much trouble?

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Paul Goyette wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

I haven't tried any systems with loadable modules yet -- does 'boot -a'
let you specify the module path?

I don't think so, but it sounds to me like a useful enhancement.

I actually tried to do this, but ran into a little problem.  :)

I added a prompt in sys/kern/kern_module.c routine module_init() (based on setting of RB_ASKNAME flag in global variable boothowto), and set the value of module_base to the user's answer. This part worked. However, all subsequent prompts triggered by RB_ASKNAME just hung. Keyboard was unresponsive (both USB keyboard and PS/2 keyboard).

I suspect that calling cngetsn() at the time of module_init() is leaving something in a bad state. Perhaps cngetsn() needs something else to happen first. But I couldn't find any better place to put the prompt for module_base.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |
|                  |                          | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |