Re: Using ink printers with NetBSD?

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:07:54AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I have a Brother MFC that I got running on NetBSD, but with a *lot* of
> trouble.  There are many linux assumptions and dependencies, plus a
> blob that has to execute in linux-only mode.  I got it working, but the
> solution is sufficiently fragile that I've never tried copying to my
> other machines, let alone putting it into pkgsrc.

This is an inkjet MFC?   All of Brother's laser models are available
with Postscript for output and helpful (and standard!) options like FTP
and SMTP for input.

I would be leery of using an open-source driver with a fancy inkjet printer
if the intent is to print photographs -- you'll essentially lose all
support for a color-managed workflow no matter what you do.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost