Re: -current hangs; serial console oddities

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 12:51:37PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> Am I alone in noticing strange stalls and peculiar serial console behavior
> in -current?  The problem is at least as old as version 5.99.01.
>
> I just booted my test machine, a Soekris net4521, and the boot messages
> stopped here:
>
> Starting cron.
> Fri Dec  5 11:25:32 CST 2008
>
> NetBSD/i386 (
>
> I tapped enter a few times, and a login prompt did appear---I
> typed my login and Enter, and waited:
>
> NetBSD/i386 (cuw) (console)
>
> login: root

Here is a new wrinkle: sometimes the line 'NetBSD/i386' line
is as above, sometimes it is:

NetBSD/i386 (cuw) (constty)

I expect for it to be either 'constty' or 'console', always, but not
one or the other!  What's going on, there?  FWIW, the system seems to
behave equally badly whether it says 'console' or 'constty'.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24