WARNING: NetBSD bricks onboard wm(4) devices (confirmed)

For initial problem see:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2008/10/31/msg005587.html

Since then I was able to modify the Linux e1000e driver so that it
attached and I could use ethtool's write functionality to restore the
EEPROM with an image from SuperMicro support.

After confirming I had a reproducible way of restoring the device, I
retried NetBSD.  At first, everything worked fine, however when
enabling the Option ROM so that I could PXEBoot, I again got the
similar failure:

  wm0 at pci0 dev 25 function 0: 82801I (AMT) LAN Controller, rev. 2
  wm0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16
  wm0: PCI-Express bus
  wm0: No EEPROM
  wm0: unable to read Ethernet address

At which point the EEPROM again had been trashed, and this time the
vendor/device IDs had been rewritten from 8086:10bd to 8086:294c, so
at least I could directly use the Intel EEUPDATE.EXE tool to reflash
the EEPROM, but this confirmed that NetBSD was trashing the EEPROM.

Since restoring yet again, I've booted into Linux with the Option ROM
enabled, and have had no issues using the device.

I'm hoping to do further analysis over the coming days, but until
then, users should be aware that they may render their onboard LAN
irrepairably broken by booting NetBSD with the Option ROM enabled.

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/