Re: xorg xkb issues

On Monday 01 December 2008 16:24:22 Mark Davies wrote:
> I've traced two different machines running 1.4.2 (my laptop and one of
> the desktops here) and they both report errors from xkbcomp but the
> errors are different.
     [...]
> So I don't know what controls what input the X server tries to feed to
> xkbcomp but certainly in my case with 1.4.2 its not getting it right.

So the significant difference between the (working) 1.3.0 system and the
two different 1.4.2 systems was the version of the X Keyboard
Configuration Database they were using.

The 1.3.0 system was using xkbdata-1.0.1
The laptop 1.4.2 system was using xkeyboard-config-1.3
The desktop 1.4.2 system was using xkeyboard-config-1.4 (but broken)

So using the xkbdata-1.0.1 data on the 1.4.2 laptop got it working.
Upgrading the 1.4.2 laptop to xkeyboard-config-1.4 also seems to have got
it working so the problem seems to have been broken data in
xkeyboard-config-1.3.  This would suggest that the desktop 1.4.2 system
should have worked but I noticed that it didn't have (for local reasons)
a /var/db/xkb (which /usr/pkg/share/X11/xkb/compiled symlinks too) so it
was probably triping over that - I can't actually test and confirm that
till tomorrow.

For those people who were seeing the problems with native xorg, I can't
immediately see what version of the keyboard database its trying to use
but hopefully this will point you at the likely cause.

cheers
mark