Re: building new version of config

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:30:27 -0600
Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh%nimenees.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 09:01:00AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:56:54 +0530
> > "rvargh jo" <rvargh1%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> > > I downloaded the new  config.tar.gz from
> > > /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5_BETA/tar_files/src/
> > >
> > > But when I try to make source of config.tar.gz, it complained:
> > >
> > > mkheaders.c:58:24: error:  crc_extern.h: No such file or
> > > directory.
> > >
> > > I am tring to update kernel with current source, so I real need
> > > the newer config.
> > >
> > Use build.sh and make sure it builds the tool chain first -- a new
> > config is part of that process.
>
> So what's the point of config.tar.gz then, if you need to download the
> whole source tree?

Truthfully, I didn't know there was such a thing; I'm generally working
with the whole tree anyway.  But -- to build any kernel, you need a
config command (from whatever source) of a matching version.  If the
config.tar.gz you have isn't for 5.0, it won't work.  If the one in the
5.0 directory doesn't work, that would seem to represent a bug in the
distribution process.  At this point, I'll bow out of the discussion
and leave it to others who understand it more...